Sunday, April 26, 2009

What the hay is wrong with baby talk???

Let me start by saying, while I can be quite articulate when the situation warrants, I have always had an affinity for nicknames, accents, funny voices, abbreviations, etc. Not so much baby talk per say, but you get my drift. I have many nicknames for my dogs. I rarely call Simon, my oldest pug, Simon. It's usually pooky, short for pooky bear, which derived from tweety bird. Toby is usually Tobiola, or often, "Toby is an ola", and other such goofiness. So, after baby talking to my pugs for years, obviously I'm not going to go all proper with my Soso, So pie, Sophiola, Sophie Krayeski is a Krayeski named Sophie, my sweetest pea, etc. Sophie doesn't wear diapers, but panties. I actually got that from my mom, who called them that the first day we came home from the hospital. It stuck. Now, "the girlies" derived from "girly parts', which I started from day one. I never had a name for my girly parts, since I make a habit not to talk about them, or to them. The thing is, I have always talked to Sophie. Hello, I talk to my dogs all the time. Simon was the first to know every time I got a positive pregnancy test, or a negative for that matter. What? He always follows me to the bathroom. So, I always explain, we have to change your panties, we have to wipe the girlies, you have stinky pooey, and so on. As she has gotten older and learning to talk, I do use more proper names. Like, even though she calls milk "gilk", I say milk, so she will learn correctly. But, poopy is poopy, girlies are girlies, pooky is pooky.

Now, it wasn't until I brought my lovely home and eventually started reading the mommy board on my favorite site that I "learned" baby talk is no longer cool. As a matter of fact, lots of these ladies "hate" baby talk and have a fit when others around them talk this nonsense to their babies. Proper words only!! Some won't even use poopy, it's a bm, or bowel movement. Or, a vulva and vagina! Really! Unless you make a living as an OB/Gyn, or a professor teaching potential girly part doctors, WHY do you have to use these words? If you want to use them, fine. To each their own. But, I reserve the right to make up any and all phrases, songs and words that I want. If people want to feel all superior, fine. However, after working with the public and thousands of associates over the years, a large percentage couldn't even tell you what a noun or verb are. After awhile, I found myself saying things like, "she don't do that". Ugh!!! Sophiola is an ola named Sophie will speak proper english, but I hope when she one day has a child, she will still have enough sense to call a poopy a poopy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
Washington, United States
After being obese my entire adult life, I started Weight Watchers on 10/20/09. So far, so good.