Thursday, April 16, 2009

Embracing my inner stay at home momminess

I am NOT a stay at home mom. I am a working mom, on sabbatical. First of all, that is just my lot in life, I have to work. My husband and I are partners, and have been successful at it for over the 12 years we have been married. Not business partners, but life/marriage/parental partners. We both work, we both do household chores, we both take care of our dogs, and now, we both parent our daughter. Of course, things are not all divided up 50/50. He does some, like about 100% of the grocery shopping, I do some, like taking care of all the bills, vacuuming, etc. Up until I left my job, because I was salaried, I usually worked more hours than he did, so he actually did more than his share of the cooking and the dishes. Since I have been home with Sophie, I do alot more of my share around the house. I needed a career change, I needed time with Sophie, so I left my job with the idea of taking up to a year off. In all honesty, I was hoping that things would change, and maybe I would be able to stay home. But, I also was convinced that I not only needed to work financally, but for my own sanity. If I didn't have to get up for work in the morning, what would I get up for? Joke on me, I still get up for work in the morning! The best job I have ever had! It has taken awhile to get my footing. I like to go do things, but I am very tight with money, even when I have it. The exciting thing is I have learned to budget much better, and I thought I was doing a good job before. Spending this time with Sophie has been invaluable, for both of us. Of course, I am not the best housewife. I just don't spend the time cleaning that I should. I do like my house clean, so it is always straightened and neat looking, but there are some scary things lurking in the closets and drawers. As I tell my hubby, if I knew this was going to be permanent, I would do a better job. Right now, I am sucking up every minute with Sophie that I can. And I feel like I would be (and momentarily am) a great stay at home mom. Who knew?!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
Washington, United States
After being obese my entire adult life, I started Weight Watchers on 10/20/09. So far, so good.